What is it?
The AKC FIT DOG Turkey Trot is a virtual 5K (3.1 miles) that people do with their dogs. This non-competitive 5K Turkey Trot can be done all at one time, or in smaller segments on multiple days so that everyone (people and dogs) can participate at their own pace. This can be a walk or run activity.
This year, Turkey Trot proceeds will be used to support programs for AKC Juniors. Juniors participate in multiple AKC events, and they can earn scholarships for their education.
- Between September 1, 2023, and December 15, 2023, you and your dog can walk/run your 5K.
- The 5K (3.1 miles) can be walked/run all at once for people and dogs who are fit, or you may break your 5K into as many days/sessions as you need to keep you and your dog safe.
- You and your dog can do the Turkey Trot on your own, with a group of friends and their dogs, or with your AKC FIT DOG club.
- This Turkey Trot can be done anywhere that you and your dog are welcome to walk/run – in a local park, on a trail, or in your neighborhood.
AKC is keeping the Turkey Trot open past Thanksgiving for those who are running/walking in segments.
$20 donation includes the 3” Turkey Trot medal with a ribbon.
How It Works
- Between September 1, 2023, and December 12, 2023, complete the 5K (3.1 miles) with your dog. This can be all at once, or in as many days/sessions as you need.
- Document your distances and times on a smartphone, smartwatch (or similar device), or on a written log.
- Order your attractive AKC FIT DOG Turkey Trot medal.
The AKC FIT DOG Turkey Trot is done on an honor system. We are allowing medals to be ordered now so that AKC FIT DOG clubs and participants have them in time for Thanksgiving Turkey Trot photos.
The Turkey Trot counts toward AKC FIT DOG title points!
***Tanya Rowan (FIT DOG evaluator, & Pack Leader for the “Adventure Dogs” Fitdog Club) will be holding a “Virtual Group Walk”. For more information please email her at email@example.com***